Monday, September 19, 2011

Day 262: $1 to Children's Hospital

On my way to my second job (college instructor) I stopped at Walmart to purchase some toilet paper, paper towels, and peanut butter--an odd combination, I know. While in Walmart, I pondered whether or not this type of establishment would offer an opportunity to donate (apart from beggars that might accost me in the parking lot). In my elitist fashion, I concluded that Walmart is surely not the place for charitable organizations to solicit donations. The shoppers at Walmart are looking for a bargain, not a chance to give away their money.  Therefore, I was surprised on my way out to see a strange plastic incubator (probably from the 1970s) with a plastic baby doll inside. The baby doll looked happy to be in the incubator, but I suppose it's difficult to find a unhealthy looking doll. Draping the lower half of this odd contraption was a table cloth of sorts that said "Children's Hospital."  I stared at the display, wondering where they might be collecting money, when I finally noticed that the top of the incubator had a slot and the idea was to simply throw your money on the baby inside! I proceeded as a few others had before me, and threw my dollar at the helpless doll. I should have taken a photo, really.

No comments:

Post a Comment