Sunday, August 28, 2011

Day 240: $1 to Diabetes

I was purchasing steak to grill tonight at Fresh Market when I spotted a donation box for diabetes, specifically juvenile diabetes (or JDRF).  There wasn't a lot of information posted about the fundraising, but Fresh Market definitely makes it on my list of organizations I trust with my donations.  From the website, it looks as if in two weeks, Fresh Market will be doing even more to support the foundation.

On another note, I saw two women begging for money on the street corner today on my way home from the farmer's market.  Both had signs indicating that they were single mothers. Neither looked too terrible (in fact, one was dressed pretty well), and I felt nothing but contempt for the two of them.  Of all the people in our society, single mothers have the most aid available to them through the federal government. I have to wonder if they had to support some other sort of addiction.  In all, I guess 240 days of giving money hasn't really made me any more compassionate to the plight of certain people.

No comments:

Post a Comment