Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Day 284: Cat treats to Pet Food Drive

I wanted to donate again to the One Ton Pet Food Drive going on in Milford, OH before the final day of the drive, so I picked up two bags of cat treats last night while on the way home from Miami. I stopped by Walmart (home of the plastic baby in the old incubator).  Apparently, the baby has collected quite a bit more; she was covered in dollar bills. Back to the topic at hand: I chose cat treats instead of regular old Meow Mix because I think that not only would the hungry cats deserve something special, but the down-on-their-luck pet owners would also enjoy providing some special treats for their cats. I feel somewhat the same way about food stamps. I cringe (but understand somewhat) when I hear people criticizing the purchases of people who are using food stamps. Do they not also deserve a little something sometime? One candy bar, etc... his cynicism, however, brings me to my own creeping suspicion. I love the pet food drive, but I'm wondering how many people/families who will benefit from the food drive are actually in a financial situation similar to my own (that is, decidedly middle class). In the end, it probably doesn't matter.  I'm sure there is someone well-off somewhere also taking food from s freestore.

No comments:

Post a Comment