Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Day 339: Plastic Utensils

Susan, a colleague at work, sent an email the other day asking for donations of wrapped, plastic silverware for a soup kitchen where Susan's sister works. Just by checking in drawers at home, I was able to come up with a hodgepodge of twenty different sets from various take-out locations like Wendy's or the Chinese place. Obviously I could use these for myself every single day. After all, I'm a brown-bagger. But since I can also use unwrapped plastic utensils, I decided to purchase a pack of those for myself and donated the wrapped ones. I realize that had this request come last year via email, I would have found it so easy to ignore (even if I had good intentions). But this year when I see something like this in my email I get excited because it's a cheap but meaningful way to donate for the day. I do, however, feel like I'm becoming a bit more judgmental of those I see around me who are not so giving.

No comments:

Post a Comment