Thursday, June 9, 2011

Day 160: crackers and noodles to Freestore Foodbank

I took advantage again this week of the opportunity provided by Green Bean Delivery.  I simply took a box of crackers and a box of lasagna noodles out of my cupboard and put them directly into the Green Bean box that is exchanged for a new box with delicious produce each Thursday right on my doorstep.  This really makes me think:  shouldn't every business endeavor to do something similar.  Again, it's local giving/donating/helping.

I noticed that Toms has expanded its one-to-one program to now include sunglasses.  With every pair you purchase, you help someone who needs eye care.  Sounds great, but $135 is way beyond what I can fathom paying for sunglasses.  I wear sunglasses religiously when I'm outdoors, but I have a real problem paying a lot for them.  The other day, I was out without sunglasses and I wanted to buy some while at the grocery store.  I stood in front of them for about 10 minutes, but I could not make myself purchase them because they were $15.  If they had been $10, maybe.  It's just one of those things with me.  I'm aware that other people will spend hundreds of dollars on sunglasses.  I'm not calling them foolish because I'm sure there is some other item that I go over the top with, too.  Sunglasses for $135, though, it might just be conspicuous consumption. 

No comments:

Post a Comment