Sunday, June 12, 2011

Day 163: 58 cents to litearcy fund and $1 to Boys and Girls Club

I stopped at Dollar General today, a store I do not usually frequent.  In fact, I think dollar stores are strange, and whenever I find myself in one I feel like an anthropologist studying the workers and shoppers.  It's not that I think I'm better than anyone in there; it's just that the whole concept seems centered around junk and expired items.  I went to the dollar store to buy this specific type of kitchen sponge that I like to use while washing dishes.  For some reason, you can't find these little, colored, plastic sponges anywhere, so when I do run into them, I make a note of it.  I was only able to buy one pack of sponges (and the pack was sort of open).  Anyway, at the checkout counter, I noticed that I could "donate my change to make a change."  Apparently Dollar General sponsors a literacy foundation.  What was most interesting about this was the sign that invited people who were interested in learning how to read to take a pamphlet.  Really.  I suppose the pamphlets were for people donating, too, but as I flipped through it I noticed the boxes to check to indicate what type of literacy skills you most needed help with.

After completing my obligation for the day, I was at the Arby's drive thru purchasing a chicken salad wrap sandwich for my mom (her latest addiction). The drive thru worker, Twila, asked me to donate a dollar to the boys and girls club, and she said that it was the last day to do so. I had an extra dollar in my wallet, sort of even jumping out if you can believe it, so I donated again.  I had to sign my name to some silly sticker that they will post in Arby's.

No comments:

Post a Comment