Monday, April 18, 2011

Day 108: Two Jars of Peanut Butter

My mother clued me in on this donation opportunity.  There are several local banks in Cincinnati accepting non-perishable food items for donation to the Freestore Foodbank downtown.  The program, called the Bank to Bank Food and Funds Drive, runs through April 29 makes it extremely convenient to donate to one of the most reputable organizations we have in the Greater Cincinnati area to help struggling families and individuals.  I plan to donate several times over the next week or so.

Today I dropped of two jars of peanut butter (one of the suggested items) at a local Fifth Third branch right by my home. Because I had to drive to Oxford today for class and a training session, I looked online and found the location most convenient to my route. The employees were impeccably dressed and the facility clean, organized (even plush you might say), but there was no donation bin in the lobby. (Maybe they thought it would look tacky.) I was greeted immediately, and since I was in a bit of a rush I just asked outright if they were collecting for the drive.  The man wearing a dark suit and too much cologne (actually I just made that part up about the cologne) didn't know, but he went immediately to seek a supervisor, a woman in very high heels who said that yes, she "thought" they were. I handed over my jars--not even in a bag--and skedaddled right out of there.  I heard the impeccable dressed man say something to the effect of, "Thanks, how kind of you," as I left.  I think I shocked them a bit.  Here I was, a woman in gym shoes and jeans, just dropping off peanut butter to unsuspecting bank employees. Could be worse, though, when you think about what might walk through a bank entrance. Hopefully it won't be too much of a problem for them to get the food to the right location. Maybe they will even put a bin out so people will notice.

No comments:

Post a Comment