Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Day 110: Four cans of beans to the Freestore Foodbank

I'm filled with annoyance about my donation today.  This is the second time I have dropped off food items for Cincinnati's Freestore Foodbank at participating banks.  I think the idea behind the Bank to Bank project is awesome.  What an easy way to make donating to the Freestore convenient and rewarding--at least in theory. However, this just hasn't been my experience.  When handing over my four cans of beans (a suggested item to donate) I was greeted with, "Oh, yeah. I can take care of that," from a clearly annoyed teller.  In an instant I got the overwhelming feeling that they really just want you to donate money, not food. I had already had to track down a bank branch that was open late in order to donate, had to walk into Kroger with a bag of food (which just feels weird) and my feet were hurting!  I really had just wanted to go home, not donate, but I made myself. But to deal with the teller who was not only unappreciative, but actually annoyed really did not make me feel good at all.  It made me feel cheap because I wasn't donating money.  Later this week, I'm going to try this one more time at a different bank.

No comments:

Post a Comment