Sunday, May 15, 2011

Day 135: $1 to tornado relief via Red Cross and a wooden nickel to Loveland Food Pantry

Biggs/Remke markets makes it easy to donate while you check out.  I simply asked the cashier to donate $1 to the relief fund run by the Red Cross.  The sign said the money would go to tornado victims in Alabama. In all, it's usually a better idea to send money to disaster areas than goods.  I read an article on MSNBC today about the absolute chore of sorting through junk that people have "donated." A lot of the people are misplaced--out of house and home-and have no need for toys or old plastic displays.  People are even sending used underwear.  I can't imagine.  The thing is, they do need some goods like water, pet food, tents, etc.  I still think it's best to send money.  Only really together organizations (like maybe Matthew 25) would be able to really deliver goods that were needed and worthwhile.

My smaller donation of the day was to the Loveland Food Pantry.  I donated a wooden nickel at Whole Foods for bringing my own bag. 

No comments:

Post a Comment