Thursday, January 20, 2011

Day 20: $10 to the Red Cross

I pretty much knew I would be donating online today since I am a bit snowed in. (Day off from school!) I decided to donate to the Cincinnati Region of the Red Cross to help Cincinnati families in need. The smallest amount you can donate on the Red Cross website is $10. I suppose this is due to the processing fees associated with collecting credit card payments. It might just not be worth it to accept credit card donations of less than that.  This leads me to a thought. Wouldn't it be socially correct for major credit card companies to waive processing fees for donations to charities? I could be ignorant about this whole subject, of course.  Just wondering.

After reading a tweet, I also checked out wvxu.org today to see if I might donate there, but the smallest amount you can give is $48! That's just not feasible for me right now. I wonder how many others like me are out there--love public radio, but are not in the same tax bracket (so to speak) as the average listener.  Wait--just went back to the website to catch the link, and they now have the $10 donation added to your phone bill by texting.  I will keep this in mind for the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment