Monday, January 31, 2011

Day 31: canned goods

I am donating food items every day this week to a local charity set up by a senior at Milford High School. This not only makes my donating easy for the week, it also ensures that everything will be used and appreciated.  Well, maybe not appreciated. I'm not sure why, but some of the items I purchased at the grocery in anticipation of this week's food drive are not things I would eat myself.

I think this bargain shopping for items to donate has to do with the fact food drives really count on canned good, and lots of canned goods aren't really that good.  Today, I put two cans of veggies in (green beans and peas).  This is fine, although I love FRESH peas myself and fresh green beans. Last summer, I bought peas at the farmer's market that were actually delicious.  But for some reason, I went way basic for the food drive.  I even bought two cans of beans and wieners.  Really?  Who eats those?  I guess for a moment I thought they would have fiber and be filling or something.  Later in the week I do have peanut butter and even name-brand cereal.  I'll think of other ways that I can make up for my less than stellar choices.

No comments:

Post a Comment