Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Day 4: School Supplies

Giving away school supplies is a necessary part of any teacher's job. But should it be? I guess that's why we get a tax credit at the end of the fiscal year, right? Today I gave each of my AP Language students a tiny pad of post-it flags to use while they read Nickel and Dimed. I thought it was a kind gift, and I was happy to do it. I also gave my student, Wyatt, a pencil today.  Pennies, right?  Actually, I wish I would have kept track somehow from the beginning of my career just how much money I have spent.  The boxes of tissues, supplies, and things for my classroom might even come out to be as much as I've spent on continuing education. What's the point, though. I guess the only point would be if there was ever a more organized, national movement to support education and educators in this country. And by support, I mean with money--the green kind.

Not really complaining, just saying. Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to work in an office where everything you need is supplied.   Of course, there would be the whole working in an office part. Probably not worth it.

Just editing now--I just gave away a pack of index cards to my study hall student.

No comments:

Post a Comment