Sunday, January 30, 2011

Day 30: the bat sweater

By 8:30 this morning I had already donated a sweater that I had never worn--still had the tags, in fact. I call it the bat sweater for two reasons. First, it's the same murky gray color I associate with the airborne rodents. Second, it was a fashion disaster I purchased last year when this strange trend of short-sleeved sweaters started infiltrating the low-end stores where I purchase most of my apparel. Each sleeve hole on this beauty was the size of  a large pizza, so whenever I tried on the sweater (which looked relatively normal on the hanger--isn't that always the way) I transformed into a winged creature of the night.  A fat one at that. And I just looked awful. Ridiculous, in fact.  Somehow, I'm hoping this sweater will look better on someone else, somewhere.  If not, maybe it can sit in their armoire for a year and then they can pass it on to the next victim. I suppose it could go one like that for a near eternity. 

Here's a tangential problem:  I gave away one sweater today, but I purchased two sweaters from the clearance rack at Macy's yesterday. Overall, this is not going to reduce my total number of possessions in any way, nor is it helping anyone else (except the floor manager at Macy's who wants to reduce the stock).  Yet, tomorrow marks one month of giving or donating every day. I'm proud that I've been able to keep this up, and I have faith that I can make it for the entire year.  It's becoming second nature to me. I look for donation boxes, jars, and just plain ideas for giving everywhere I go. It's like the English teacher's curse of spotting missing or misused apostrophes on any written sign.

No comments:

Post a Comment