Sunday, January 23, 2011

Day 23: goods for troops

I went back to Everything Bagels for lunch today. They still had there barrel for donating supplies to troops overseas, so I contributed a bit. I purchased Kool-Aid packets and a giant bag of mixed candy (no chocolate that could melt). When I looked in the barrel, it looked like the same items from last week were still in there--not very many to be honest. One of the items is a stuffed bear dressed in camouflage. It's adorable, but somehow I can't picture a soldier really needing this. To me, this is what the soldier's child needs back home while mom or dad is away. Well, I'm sure someone will enjoy it anyway. The reason I decided to go with Kool-Aid (besides begin on a recommended list of what to send) is because it's mentioned in one of my favorite videos form school--Letters Home from Vietnam, that I used to get to show every time we read The Things They Carried. As far as the candy goes, I picture the soldiers giving it to little Afghan children--although in reality they just might eat it themselves. You don;t have to be young to like Nerds and Skittles. It's funny to imagine who will get the Kool-Aid and candy. How will it even get there? When? If?

No comments:

Post a Comment