Monday, February 7, 2011

Day 38: $30.52

Today I gave $30 to a collection of baby shower gifts for three colleagues. (I despise spelling the word colleague, but not saying it; I always use spellcheck for it.  Also, convenient for some reason). I would like to give more, but when three are expecting at the same time, it gets a little tight. I think $10 each was the agreed upon donation.

Because I felt like giving to a shower gift was something that was not out of the ordinary for me, I also donated my change from my McDonald's medium Coca-Cola--a total of 52 cents--to the Ronald McDonald house. I never used to be in the habit of donating to Ronald McDonald at the drive-thru. I visit McDonald's many mornings--mostly just for beverages thank goodness--and I never used to give until this year. I'm embarrassed to say, that this is most probably because the change bin is so inconveniently placed. You have to really aim your change and hope for the best, or you have to drive a little too close to the building than you actually should. Today I asked the cashier to throw my change in the bin for me. She was happy to, but I noticed that this also caused her to have to lean uncomfortably out of the window. Just goes to show that giving is sometime uncomfortable, even in the most minor of ways. I guess this is why organizations like the Salvation Army and Veterans volunteer to pick up your donations right from your front porch. In a way, they are doing more of a service than you are in these instances.

No comments:

Post a Comment