Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Day 40: brown boots

On the way to school today, I gave away a pair of brown boots. They were like-new condition, but like so many shoes lately, they did not fit my standard of comfort which is becoming more and more stringent as I get older. Cute doesn't matter as much anymore. Comfort matters. When I was in Columbus last week with some other teachers, I was almost embarrassed about the utilitarianism of my shoes. Almost. I just didn't want to traipse around the downtown icy streets in fashionable shoes. I wore gym shoes and was happy about it.

This morning I also thought about how I am only giving one item away a day lately. Really, if I just took the time to go through all the shoes in my closet and other locations around the house, I would probably be able to give more. I'm thinking about my friend Gina who gives away a ton of items about once every other month. Is this a smarter, more economical way of giving? The part of my experiment I'm enjoying, however, and the part that I think might actually be important is that I have to force myself to think about giving every day. Yes, I'm probably saving up to give.  I'm hoarding donations perhaps, but giving is on my mind every, single day.  Sometimes it's the first thing I think about in the morning. Sometimes I try to think of what to donate while I'm falling asleep at night. Right now, I'm wondering about tomorrow. The good feeling of dropping off the boots, I have discovered, only lingers so long before I'm on the prowl again.

No comments:

Post a Comment