Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Day 46: As I Lay Dying

Since I was going to the library today (picking up Why School by Mike Rose) I decided to use the opportunity to donate a book. I choose Faulkner's As I Lay Dying for a couple of reasons:  I have more than one copy, it's a good book, and it's popular with my students right now because there is a band named after it. I noticed that the library also accepts CDs, cassettes, movies, and even records. I have to wonder what they really do with all this.  I peaked in the barrel and noticed some pretty poor selections--like the kind of books you would only be happy to read if you were stuck on a deserted island. (I recognize that for some people Faulkner's books fall into this category as well.)  But really, most of it looked like pure trash. Does the library sell this stuff to used bookstores? Do they recycle it? Send it to third world countries? I have no idea; I should probably read the barrel more closely next time. To be honest, I wonder of anyone at all will ever read that copy of As I Lay Dying again. I hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment