Sunday, March 20, 2011

Day 79: Brown Boots--like new

Another pair of boots has made it out of my closet and into the Planet Aid box in front of the wine store on Highway 28. Happy day. These boots looked great (but didn't feel great) with a suede platform-like heel and a rich brown color.  I even tried them on again this morning to make sure that parting with them was the right decision. I might have been clued in by the fact that I haven't worn them in two years and they look like they are brand new, but I still tried them on, stood up, and immediately pictured myself stumbling down the hallway at school desperate to reach the copy room in the main office not wanting to let on to anyone that my shoes were ridiculous.

I just saw something similar this past week at school with a student.  She had really cute, but really tall brown boots on, and when she got up to turn her essay in, I noticed her wobbling all the way to my desk and all the way back. It wasn't 8:00 a.m. yet, and I completely felt her pain.  Not only was that a mistake I would make in high school, it was a mistake that I still make today and probably will continue to make. There's nothing worse than seeing someone in adorable shoes struggling to walk and pretending like everything is fine; I have the purest empathy for any woman in that situation. In fact, I think I only know one person (my friend Nancy) who can consistently wear high heeled shoes and look satisfied with the world at the same time. I think Nancy could wear her high heels for 18 hours and still stand for the final two hours of the night.

All that being said, I bet I will wear my uncomfortable strappy high heeled black sandals to prom again this year. They look good after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment