Monday, March 21, 2011

Day 80: $20 to Softball Fundraiser

I can't believe I actually spent $20 today on a coupon book for a softball fundraiser.  Sure, I could conceivably save more than $20 if I used all the coupons. In fact, don't the coupon books usually let you know how much you can save on the cover?  Not this one--too cheap I suspect.  Also, since I don't play golf, I guess that reduces the value of the whole pack by 4 coupons. I will give the golf coupons away tomorrow. Most of the additional coupons are for local restaurants (which is good) but with major restrictions.

I told my study hall student that I would buy the book from her in a moment of weakness. I've been thinking lately that when opportunities to give come along by fate, I should seize them.  This one, however, was just not that good of an opportunity.  I'm not sure what the softball team needs, but I'm thinking my money could have gone to something a bit more worthy.  The plus in all this: I really like this study hall student. She sits in the back of the room in a desk that is meant for a teacher and doesn't have the connected chair that so many high school desks do. (Something about that connected chair/desk adds to the daily indignities of life in high school.) But I like the way this student spreads out her work, taking up the whole desk and really getting down to it as if she were in an office or a classroom of her own. I think for that fact alone, I bought the dreaded coupon book from her.

On a related note, still no word about the $25 candle I purchased from a student in October/November.

No comments:

Post a Comment