Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Day 88: Philip Roth's The Human Stain

Since I had to drive about 30 minutes to reach the New Richmond library today, I decided that I might as well bring along a book to donate. Like most libraries, the New Richmond branch of the Clermont County library takes books and either uses them in their collection or sells them to the public to raise funds. I thoroughly enjoy The Human Stain, and I've taught it for the past three years in my Miami Eng 112 class, but I apparently also have extra copies of the text.

Other random thoughts about my experience at the library:
The NR library is off in the middle of nowhere (or it felt that way). I drove past all sorts of interesting houses and sorts of dwellings on the way there-- most of them sort of carved out of the hillside. One house had two horses in the front yard and a totem pole across the street I. What appeared to be a pasture of sorts. Another house had a covered bridge leading up to the driveway. Most, though, were dilapidated and with crazy steep driveways that made me wonder what the residents do when they grow old. Still, whole driving there I liked the idea of living off the beaten path, among the wooded scenery, with nothing at all looking like it came out of a manufacturing press.

The NR library looks big from the outside but is really just one room on the inside. It seemed lacking in the updates you see at other libraries. There was no self-checkout system, and all of the signs seemed to be yellowed and old. The staff was kind, and I wondered about the young girl with a streak of purple hair and a dandelion tucked behind her hair. Is that what outrageous or intellectual looks like in New Richmond? Maybe someday she will make it to the "big city" whatever that might be.

I picked up my copy of a Hamlet study guide DVD, and I was off.

No comments:

Post a Comment