Thursday, March 31, 2011

Day 90: $5 to JROTC for aid to Japan

I found out yesterday that one of my students who is in JROTC is collecting money for aid to Japan. We had a brief conversation about this, and I told her that I would bring her a donation today.  Here's what I like about this particular transaction:
1.  She did not expect me to give.  She was just informing me in the context of another conversation she was having with a student in my first period.
2.  She told me that in the past the JROTC program has offered incentives in order to donate, but that this year the students all agreed to forgo that practice.  She mentioned that it diluted their message. I completely agree. It's fashionable at school to collect money for cause and offer candy or another small reward for donating.  Although I understand the practice (it's exactly what White Castle is doing with their donations for Ohio Valley Voices) I think that in many ways this might be obscuring the point. Do organizations get more money this way?  Maybe.  Cincinnati Public Radio is a definite fan of this tactic as well.
3.  My student was genuinely happy to receive my donation today and I trust her to the fullest extent that it will get to the right place, right people.

No comments:

Post a Comment