Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Day 81: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

I had to stop by the library today to pay my outrageous fine for an overdue video--$6!  That in itself is kind of like donating. Paying a $6 overdue fine is all the more painful when the video I checked out was one for school. We are going to watch excerpts from Food Inc. in my AP Language class and I had kept onto the video for countless renewal cycles thinking I would plan some related activities. Luckily a fellow teacher at school told me she owned the video and would be happy to lend it to me. Sometimes we forgt how many resources are right by us.

While at the library, I donated a copy of The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. I have several copies. I taught the novel for eight years, and I can safely say that I have developed an appreciation for Twain, but not a love exactly. For the most part, students don't like Huck Finn, but I do think they like it a bit more when read as a class. Unfortunately, I picture some poor louse buying my used copy from the library sale, trudging home, and working his way through the text. The King and the Duke--they stay around for far too many chapters in that novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment