Thursday, March 24, 2011

Day 83: $25 to Habitat for Humanity through Charity Choice

I recently discovered this easy and fun way of donating. Not too long ago, I signed up for the rewards points for my bank card. While my bank is not as good as others (I have to actually pay an annual fee for rewards) it does have a great selection of gift cards, merchandise, and other items. It was really tempting to order a gift card for myself (maybe Barnes and Noble or a restaurant) but I decided instead to order the Charity Choice card. With this card, I can select from a variety of meritorious charitable organizations and send a donation of $25!  I have to wait three weeks to actually get my card and send it in, but I already choose my first organization to donate to in this manner:  Habitat for Humanity. I can't wait to actually complete this donation. It's also nice to be able to give an amount over $10.  Twenty-five dollars isn't really that much money, but when it comes down to it, sometimes it's a tough amount to just give away.

Here's a thought: I wonder how many people who look at the credit card rewards programs select the charitable donation?  In one way, it's so easy and you can feel good about donating money without actually spending any money. On the other hand, the site tempts you to redeem your points for yourself too.  Great restaurants, merchandise, and stores (even Target and Walmart).  It's sort of Faustian.  At least this time I was able to do the "right" thing.

Side items:  I gave 20 cents to Ronald McDonald House charities today, and I gave my friend Allison all of the golf coupons out of my softball fundraiser coupon book. I also gave $1 to Japan aid at Krogers.

No comments:

Post a Comment